Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Birthday Boy


It's hard to believe, but Jack turned 3 yesterday! He was very proud of the artwork he made today at playschool.

What a year he's had. Look at this picture from a year ago and see how baby-faced he still was.


Can you believe at this time last year we were just announcing my pregnancy, and now I have a 5 1/2 month old and a 3 year old??

Jack, you've really grown from a baby into a little boy this past year. We started the year off with you barely speaking, and us worrying as it became apparent therapy was needed. But you gradually improved, and then in the fall, you had a breakthrough and your language abilities exploded. I still remember how surprised the speech therapist was that you went from 50% delays in expressive ability to above age-level ability in just a couple of months. Your little voice is still one of the best sounds in the world.

You've also gone through several other important changes this year. We moved to a new house, which you had no problems adjusting to (I'm sure the ceiling fans and big back yard helped a lot with that.) We stopped using a crib, and you've been in your big boy bed for several months now. You don't even have a rail on it anymore. You're sitting in a regular chair at the table and are so good at feeding yourself. We're still working on potty training, but you're definitely making progress.

And of course, you've become a wonderful big brother! After hearing other people's horror stories, I had wondered and worried so much when I was pregnant about how you would react to the baby. We had a few tantrums in the beginning, but other than that, you've handled everything exceptionally well. You and Charlotte definitely love each other already, and I know you two will have so much fun growing up together.

You're such an incredibly smart, happy, sweet, and loving little boy. You fill our lives with joy, and I look forward to another year of watching you grow and learn. We love you very much, my little 3-year old!

4 comments:

Grammy and Grampy Jarvis said...

Happy 3rd birthday, Jack! I love the picture of the baby chick that you made at Playschool! Love, Grammy J.

Mama B said...

Erin, this made me tear up a bit! They grow so fast. He's such a cutie, they both are! Tell Jack his cousins from VT say happy birthday!

Lea said...

Happy birthday Jack! Time flies Erin! I clearly remember thinking that we might give birth on the same day...now we have 3 yr olds!

The Johnston Family said...

Happy 3rd Birthday Jack! You are such a big and handsome boy We can't wait to celebrate with you:)